• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Major:Bio-Med
  • Class of: 2007
  • College:Princeton '11

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:55 PM

i always wondered why it is such a big deal you cant weAr them

wearing a hat indoors is considered a sign of disrespect...you aren't supposed to disrespect your teachers
Join Science Olympiad- Fridays in 4E2!

#3 djharkavy

djharkavy

Forum Addict

• Donors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Major:N/A
  • College:University of Rochester

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:10 PM

wearing a hat indoors is considered a sign of disrespect...you aren't supposed to disrespect your teachers

When I used to teach in Buffalo (many years ago) I was told that it also violates NY State health codes to wear hats in school. I have never researched that to confirm, so it might be off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note that the opinions posted by me are my own, and not that of the DOE or the Administration, unless specifically mentioned as such.

#4 NickC

NickC

Senior Class President 2010

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4889 posts
  • Major:IAS
  • Class of: 2010
  • College:University at Buffalo

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

Yes thats true!
In other words, it just doesnt look good. I mean, imagine your a teacher and you have 34 kids and every single one of them wore hats, how would you feel??
BTHS SGO: 2010 Class President | Int'l Arts & Sciences (College Prep) Major | University at Buffalo '14 Psychology, Pre-Med Studies, Chinese Culture and Language

#5 Hi its me the new guy

Hi its me the new guy

Tech Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Thinking about life...

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

Ok... maybe it disrespects some people, but hats are like an article of clothing, i think they should be worn... And responding to Nick C, if i was the teacher i wouldn't do anything, I mean whats the difference between having a hat and having no hat? The rule is much too strict, I mean what would people do with their fitted caps? I mean they spend good money just to look good and they're restricted to wear it? I say probably its just another random school rule just like banning cell phones...

#6 lola101

lola101

Tech Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:31 PM

Ok... maybe it disrespects some people, but hats are like an article of clothing, i think they should be worn... And responding to Nick C, if i was the teacher i wouldn't do anything, I mean whats the difference between having a hat and having no hat? The rule is much too strict, I mean what would people do with their fitted caps? I mean they spend good money just to look good and they're restricted to wear it? I say probably its just another random school rule just like banning cell phones...

it doesn't just disrespect some people...its a common rule of courtesy. If you don't take of your hat your basically telling the person that you don't want to be there and are just dying to get out- that you don't even need to remove your winter clothing because you won't be staying for long. And besides that, why in the world would you need to wear a hat indoors. Does it snow indoors? Is it cold? They overheat tech as it is. And in terms of a fashion statement...well then I could say a corset is a fashion statement too and walk around in school in lingerie something that is extremely inappropriate. (i am just making an example...i would never do that, lol)

#7 AFaust3

AFaust3

Simply "Faust"

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1899 posts
  • Major:TLA
  • College:Northeastern University; London School of Economics

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:38 PM

I say probably its just another random school rule just like banning cell phones...

Both rules have logical reasons behind their implementation. I don't agree with the cell phone ban myself, but I think that the ban on hats is appropriate not only because of respect, but because it is a distraction. School is not about making a fashion statement, it is about learning.
"You are unique, just like everybody else."
Northeastern University Class of 2012 - GO HUSKIES!

#8 NickC

NickC

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • 4889 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:55 PM

Well maybe you haven't been in a senario of being a teacher, but if you had then I'm sure you might understand.
In addition to that you dont necessarily need to "look good" in school. You just have to wear clean cloths and use deodorant. School is a place to learn, its not a fashion show. And the cell phone ban has both good and bad impact on the student body. There's enough evidence to prove why phones should be banned and as well as not being banned. But lets just stay on topic here.
BTHS SGO: 2010 Class President | Int'l Arts & Sciences (College Prep) Major | University at Buffalo '14 Psychology, Pre-Med Studies, Chinese Culture and Language

#9 lola101

lola101

Tech Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:53 AM

Both rules have logical reasons behind their implementation. I don't agree with the cell phone ban myself, but I think that the ban on hats is appropriate not only because of respect, but because it is a distraction. School is not about making a fashion statement, it is about learning.

well put

#10 techkid

techkid

The Future Innovator

• Forum Extraordinaires
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • Major:Social Science

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:26 PM

There are some noneducational things that you do in school that will be helpful to you in the future. One of these is wearing hats. You do not wear a hat when you eat at a dinner table, or when you work at an office.
The moment that a plurality of the people in this world succumb to ignorance, the end is near. - by me
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -Albert Einstein
"Never memorize anything you can look up." -Albert Einstein
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work." -Thomas Edison
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Sir Winston Churchill
"Those who attain any excellence commonly spend life in one pursuit; for excellence is not often granted upon easier terms. -Samuel Johnson

#11 esong27

esong27

Bear Trapper

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2430 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:08 PM

There are some noneducational things that you do in school that will be helpful to you in the future. One of these is wearing hats. You do not wear a hat when you eat at a dinner table, or when you work at an office.

I'm sure someone may argue "I eat with my hat on." Heh. I don't really like seeing someone keep a hat on in school because it gives off the impression that the person is "too cool for school."

#12 Hi its me the new guy

Hi its me the new guy

Tech Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Thinking about life...

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:12 PM

Yea, but still hats are like an article of clothing. Saying you can't wear hats is like saying you can't wear sneakers or shoes or something on your feet. And about the cell phone issue... ok maybe they're different issues and i'm not commenting anymore on the cell phones cuz its off topic...

#13 techkid

techkid

The Future Innovator

• Forum Extraordinaires
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

But sneakers are necessary and hats are not. Religious headpieces are allowed in Tech because they serve a purpose, I really don't see how a hat serves a purpose INSIDE of Tech.
The moment that a plurality of the people in this world succumb to ignorance, the end is near. - by me
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -Albert Einstein
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work." -Thomas Edison
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Sir Winston Churchill
"Those who attain any excellence commonly spend life in one pursuit; for excellence is not often granted upon easier terms. -Samuel Johnson

#14 NickC

NickC

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • 4889 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

Yea, but still hats are like an article of clothing. Saying you can't wear hats is like saying you can't wear sneakers or shoes or something on your feet. And about the cell phone issue... ok maybe they're different issues and i'm not commenting anymore on the cell phones cuz its off topic...

If you think that wearing hats is a necessity Inside of tech then you can do that. Wear your hat to Gym, wear it to lunch wear it to which over class you please to wear it in. Also wear your hat when you walk into the principals office or the deans office. HATS ARE NOT TO BE WORN IN SCHOOL. FINAL.

#15 jj2

jj2

Veni, vidi, vici

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1024 posts
  • Major:Chemistry
  • Class of: 2009
  • College:Somewhere in lala land

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

I think the hats are not allow in school because then the teachers cant see your faces, and dont know who you re and stuff, etc.
The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has Confucius

I care for no man on Earth, and no man on Earth care for me -- Sidney Carton- A Tale of Two Cities

BTHS Chem 09
National BETA Club
National Honor Society

#16 techkid

techkid

The Future Innovator

• Forum Extraordinaires
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:56 PM

I don't want to go off topic with this post, but I have to point out that hats go on top of your head and do not go over your face. That would be a ski mask, and the last thing we need is people coming to school in ski masks.

#17 PinKkFloyDd

PinKkFloyDd

Devout Techie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Classic rock, computer, video games, politics, comedy, other crap.
  • Major:Architecture
  • Class of: 2008
  • College:CCNY

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

I hate how hats can be worn for religious purposes. You either totally allow hats or totally band them, religion should not get special priveliges.
Posted Image

Roger Waters - 9/13/06 - Madison Square Garden
Roger Waters - 5/30/07 - Madison Square Garden

My Last.fm

#18 techkid

techkid

The Future Innovator

• Forum Extraordinaires
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:25 AM

I hate how hats can be worn for religious purposes. You either totally allow hats or totally band them, religion should not get special priveliges.

ACtually religion should get special privaleges. And religious people do not wear hats, but rather "religious headpieces." There's a difference and it is important. If a religious person is not allowed to wear their headpiece, they might not go to school. Then what have we accomplished by doing this?

#19 teknite

teknite

Devout Techie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, medicine
  • Major:Computer Science
  • Class of: 2009
  • College:Cornell University

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:44 PM

I think this is one of the dumbest discussions. Everyone knows that when you go somewhere you take your hat off as a sign of respect. Anyone that doesn't understand this needs to get in touch with civilization.
Roses are red, Violets are blue. I'm schizophrenic. And So AM I!

#20 esong27

esong27

Bear Trapper

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2430 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:04 PM

ACtually religion should get special privaleges. And religious people do not wear hats, but rather "religious headpieces." There's a difference and it is important. If a religious person is not allowed to wear their headpiece, they might not go to school. Then what have we accomplished by doing this?

Actually there is at least one teacher at Tech who wears a hat for religious purposes. It's an actual hat (a different hat everyday, actually) but its purpose serves to cover the head for religious reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users