#1 evilangel814

evilangel814

Ubernewbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Major:N/A

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

:ph34r: in the common ap, for the personal statment, lets just say i wrote...510 words.

what would happen?

#2 anntan1989

anntan1989

Forum Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Major:Social Science

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

If you submit it online, there's most likely going to be a word count, so watch out for that. The site might not even let you send the essay if it's even one word exceeding the limit. However, if you send it by paper, there's no way they're going to count each word; they're not going to be able to tell whether it's 500 or 510 words.

#3 Transparent Reality

Transparent Reality

Forum Princess

• Donors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Major:Media
  • Class of: 2007
  • College:School of Visual Arts - Graphic Design

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:02 PM

I don't think it's generally a good idea to risk your chances at admission by banking on a technicality. I managed to condense 700 words into 502, so I would suggest that you trim off the more superfluous parts of your essay.
Posted Image

#4 esong27

esong27

Bear Trapper

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2430 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:07 PM

Again, I thought the number of characters is more important than the number of words. I just reduced like 300 characters and my eyes are burning. I HATE COLLEGE APPS.

#5 angel

angel

Devout Techie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Major:Bio-Med
  • College:Cornell University

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:32 PM

Oh i mst definitely agree with you esong... I haven't actually copy and pasted my essay into the common app yet, but apparently if you go over you have to continue it in the so called "additional" section.

I'm currently at 501. I don't really want hunt and eliminate one word..-_- i feel like i've eliminated all that i can..
BIO-MED::SENIORS 2007

. Beta . NHS . Chamber Chorus . Girl's Varsity Tennis . Fabrica .

#6 djharkavy

djharkavy

Forum Addict

• Donors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • College:University of Rochester

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:42 AM

Again, I thought the number of characters is more important than the number of words. I just reduced like 300 characters and my eyes are burning. I HATE COLLEGE APPS.

1 word = 5 characters.

Reducing your essay is almost always a good idea. The average person writes WAY too much when writing an essay.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note that the opinions posted by me are my own, and not that of the DOE or the Administration, unless specifically mentioned as such.

#7 esong27

esong27

Bear Trapper

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2430 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:14 PM

1 word= not always 5 characters. In fact, the type of words and adjectives that go into an essay are longer than 5 characters, I'd have to say. The word "character" itself is 9 characters. Okay, not to be anal about this...I've written, let's say, 160 words when the limit was supposedly 150, and it was okay because I kept under the character limit. That is what I mean when I say the character limit is more important than the word limit, when you apply online anyway.

#8 djharkavy

djharkavy

Forum Addict

• Donors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • College:University of Rochester

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:54 PM

1 word= not always 5 characters. In fact, the type of words and adjectives that go into an essay are longer than 5 characters, I'd have to say. The word "character" itself is 9 characters. Okay, not to be anal about this...I've written, let's say, 160 words when the limit was supposedly 150, and it was okay because I kept under the character limit. That is what I mean when I say the character limit is more important than the word limit, when you apply online anyway.

That is true for counting words.

For a typist, and usually for the purpose of essays, one word = 5 characters.

That is why the character limit in the first place.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note that the opinions posted by me are my own, and not that of the DOE or the Administration, unless specifically mentioned as such.

#9 techkid

techkid

The Future Innovator

• Forum Extraordinaires
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:18 PM

Characters are definitely taken into consideration. I had to write two short answers and I was limited to 300 characters. That might sound like a lot, but trust me it's not. I literally had 301 for one of them, and was forced to go back and edit the response. This might be just for this situation because every college application is different. P.S. this was not for the common app.
The moment that a plurality of the people in this world succumb to ignorance, the end is near. - by me
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -Albert Einstein
"Never memorize anything you can look up." -Albert Einstein
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work." -Thomas Edison
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Sir Winston Churchill
"Those who attain any excellence commonly spend life in one pursuit; for excellence is not often granted upon easier terms. -Samuel Johnson

#10 Boink

Boink

Techie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:23 PM

I submitted the Common App with a 800 word essay. Ouch.
I'm terribly worried right now.

Thankfully, my supplement essay is only 450 words or so.

#11 techkid

techkid

The Future Innovator

• Forum Extraordinaires
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

I submitted the Common App with a 800 word essay. Ouch.
I'm terribly worried right now.

Thankfully, my supplement essay is only 450 words or so.

Was there anything that came up and stated that your essay was over 500 words?
The moment that a plurality of the people in this world succumb to ignorance, the end is near. - by me
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -Albert Einstein
"Never memorize anything you can look up." -Albert Einstein
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work." -Thomas Edison
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Sir Winston Churchill
"Those who attain any excellence commonly spend life in one pursuit; for excellence is not often granted upon easier terms. -Samuel Johnson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users