In_Your_Dreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Major:N/A
  • Class of: 9000
  • College:In_Your_Dreams

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

I was thinking about Brooklyn tech having a wifi hotspot open FOR ALL students and Faculty in the building. Currently, theres only wifi for the teachers/faculty computers..
It would be a good idea if tech would have this oppurtunity for everyone in the building..

Students could be able to bring devices to school (for school purposes ONLY ofcourse), to take down notes, homework, show a powerpoint.. you know what I mean?

What are your thoughts?

Also, its pretty difficult to connect to the internet even with the school computers. The connection is so laggy..

~I.Y.D.

Posted Image

#2 NickC

NickC

Senior Class President 2010

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4889 posts
  • Major:IAS
  • Class of: 2010
  • College:University at Buffalo

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

I heard the school is currently getting an upgrade to its current internet connection.
BTHS SGO: 2010 Class President | Int'l Arts & Sciences (College Prep) Major | University at Buffalo '14 Psychology, Pre-Med Studies, Chinese Culture and Language

#3 Shariful

Shariful

Devout Techie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Football, writing, brooding.
  • Class of: 2015

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

Wouldn't it become laggy, because of everyone on the server? Or some students would take advantage of it, unless some websites were blocked, like they are in most schools...

Sorry, I'm not the greatest with technology, these just seem like some obvious problems that would be faced.

#4 Becca95

Becca95

Junior President

• B95
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Major:Software Engineering
  • Class of: 2013

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

Students are able to get around the whole internet blocked sites with proxies. It would be pretty hard to make sure students are using internet appropriately.

And with what you're saying students being able to take notes, show a power point, etc. on their computer does not require WiFi. And you are allowed to take notes with netbooks (as long as you get teacher approval first...but few will say no if you ask politely)
Rebecca Dall'Orso
Robotics Team Captain
Senior Class Parliamentarian
Council for Student Activites Coordinator
Society Of Women Engineers- President & Founder

#5 NickC

NickC

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • 4889 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

I don't find a computer useful if I am not connected to the internet. For me, even if I can't connect to iChat, I feel "alone". An internet connection is like being linked to the world nowadays.
BTHS SGO: 2010 Class President | Int'l Arts & Sciences (College Prep) Major | University at Buffalo '14 Psychology, Pre-Med Studies, Chinese Culture and Language

#6 SoLR

SoLR

Superman

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Class of: 2011
  • College:SUNY Binghamton

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:27 PM

I don't find a computer useful if I am not connected to the internet. For me, even if I can't connect to iChat, I feel "alone". An internet connection is like being linked to the world nowadays.

Yeah Nicky I don't think that Tech cares too much about how we feel. :P
Oh, and I don't think it'd be a very good idea, tons of people know the current wifi info and constantly connect to it via iphones and whatnot. There's maybe 1 or 2 kids per class at most who have a laptop with them (although they're constantly on facebook or checking mail...). Powerpoints, notes, etc don't need internet access. Just seems like one big distraction to me.
Posted Image

#7 NickC

NickC

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • 4889 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:55 PM

The internet is indeed a distraction. I found myself checking my email at least once every waking hour, if not on my netbook then on my blackberry while passing or during lunch.

I think the upgrade to the current WiFi system is going to solve a lot of the speed issues and hopefully students will be able to log on. If you think about it, the reason the network is slow is because half the school knows the code already and have it stored on the iPhones/iTouches/any mobile WiFi device to get online.

#8 Matthew W.

Matthew W.

Flownyx.NET

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:PHP, HTML5, Javascript

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

The internet is indeed a distraction. I found myself checking my email at least once every waking hour, if not on my netbook then on my blackberry while passing or during lunch.

I think the upgrade to the current WiFi system is going to solve a lot of the speed issues and hopefully students will be able to log on. If you think about it, the reason the network is slow is because half the school knows the code already and have it stored on the iPhones/iTouches/any mobile WiFi device to get online.

I'm guilty of storing it :) That many people know the code?
Posted Image

#9 Matthew W.

Matthew W.

Flownyx.NET

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:PHP, HTML5, Javascript

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

I'm guilty of storing it :) That many people know the code?
Posted Image

#10 NickC

NickC

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • 4889 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:25 AM

Yeah...I still have it memorized!

#11 Chappy

Chappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Major:Media
  • Class of: 2012

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

Rather than getting wifi in the whole school, why not work on getting the internet to work in the first place. Before it worked, then it stopped working, after that they fixed it and now it is not working again.

#12 Alanmp08

Alanmp08

Devout Techie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Graphics, Programming, Social Media, Web Development & Design, etc.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

Rather than getting wifi in the whole school, why not work on getting the internet to work in the first place. Before it worked, then it stopped working, after that they fixed it and now it is not working again.

Where do you see the internet failing? I never experienced internet problems, excluding cases with missing wires for some of the computers or something similar. I've used various computers in labs and the library computers.
Soft Eng Major | Class of '13

#13 Chappy

Chappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

Where do you see the internet failing? I never experienced internet problems, excluding cases with missing wires for some of the computers or something similar. I've used various computers in labs and the library computers.

3N06, the graphics/web design classroom. I think it's just in there.

#14 Alanmp08

Alanmp08

Devout Techie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Graphics, Programming, Social Media, Web Development & Design, etc.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

I'll go check it out after school tomorrow. It's the Media major room, I'm guessing, seeing that you're a Media major. I thought Media computers were the best in Tech, compared to the old desktops.

#15 Chappy

Chappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

I'll go check it out after school tomorrow. It's the Media major room, I'm guessing, seeing that you're a Media major. I thought Media computers were the best in Tech, compared to the old desktops.

Our computers are really old, more old than what the freshmen use for DDP, evne though we're in Media...and most of the Macs also crash a lot, especially when it's used for animation. So Media doesn't get the best computers :|

#16 Alanmp08

Alanmp08

Devout Techie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

I heard the computers were supposed to be upgraded, but a lot of cash from the budget was used to fix the roof that wasn't broken. Computers are top priority. That money could be used to upgrade all the computers in Tech. T.T

#17 NickC

NickC

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • 4889 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

You really think the roof wasn't in dire need to repair? Check out rooms like 8W18 where the ceiling is close to the point where it might actually cave in if another huge storm hit.

In addition, funds for huge projects like these are meant for whatever project it says. I don't think you can say "hey, let's just these funds for another thing even though our request asked for it to be use with thing 1"

#18 ClEMeNt

ClEMeNt

Elite

• BTHSnews Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts
  • Major:Bio-Med
  • College:University at Buffalo SUNY

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

The thing I really want to see are air conditioners. THERE IS NO WAY I'M ABLE TO LEARN WITH 20 OTHER STUDENTS FANNING THEMSELVES WITH FOLDERS IN 90 DEGREE WEATHER.
I am so pretty!
-sparkles prettily-

#19 DAshfall

DAshfall

Ubernewbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:eating.
  • Major:College Prep

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:36 AM

yeah really we need ACs in this school :D

#20 NickC

NickC

• BTHSnews Alumni
  • 4889 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

The thing I really want to see are air conditioners. THERE IS NO WAY I'M ABLE TO LEARN WITH 20 OTHER STUDENTS FANNING THEMSELVES WITH FOLDERS IN 90 DEGREE WEATHER.

It's really not that bad. Tech is fairly cool except the east side of the building (sun rises on east). And besides, think about all the memories you'll share with your friends lol.

FYI - AC Units are being installed throughout the building. Given our massive size, it'll take years before the entire school is equipped with AC Units. Check out classrooms on the 6th floor. Most are 21st Century Technology equipped for instruction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users